Wildwoods Baby Waddle & Baby Parade ~ August 2-3
The excitement for the 107th Wildwoods Baby Parade, a Wildwoods tradition since 1909, takes place Wednesday, August 3 and kicks off this year with the Wildwoods Baby Waddle Contest on Tuesday, August 2.
An exciting event for infants, toddlers and spectators alike, the Wildwoods Baby Waddle Contest will take place at 10:30 a.m. on the grassy circle in front of the Wildwoods Convention Center. This event encourages very young participants of walking or crawling age to show off their speed-crawling or “waddling” techniques to win fun prizes.
The contest is open to any speed-crawling babies 15 months and younger, and any waddling toddlers 24 months and younger. The event will have two categories – The Crawl and The Waddle – and participants will be encouraged by their parents to crawl or waddle to the edge of a colorful 45 foot diameter circle. The first participant in each category to crawl or waddle outside of the circle will be declared the winner. The winning crawler and “waddler” will each receive a family 4-pack to Morey’s Piers which includes a 3-hour session at either Raging Waters or Ocean Oasis Waterparks and unlimited amusement rides at all three Morey’s Piers amusement parks.
Registration is FREE and begins at 9:30 a.m. the day of the event. The first 100 entries will receive a free sand bucket filled with fun prizes including a free ride on the carousel at Morey’s Piers, candy from Laura’s Fudge and more.
On Wednesday, August 3, the Wildwood Civic Club presents the 107th Wildwoods Baby Parade, a Wildwoods’ tradition since 1909. The Grand Marshals this year are Mr. and Mrs. Maloy, parents of Joe Maloy, the Wildwood Crest resident and triathlete who will represent the United States in the triathlon at the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics.
The parade kicks off at 6 p.m. on the Wildwoods Boardwalk; registration will take place before the parade from 4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. in front of the Wildwoods Convention Center, located at Burk Avenue and the Boardwalk in Wildwood, where the parade line-up will take place. Judging will take place during line-up and will end at 5:45 p.m. The parade will begin promptly at 6 p.m. and will proceed north on the Wildwoods Boardwalk to 16th Avenue in North Wildwood, where prizes and awards will be announced. Queen Oceania 2016, Ms. Phoebe Melchiorre, will also be honored at the Wildwoods Baby Parade.
Complimentary trolley service will be available throughout the parade to transport participants between where the parade ends at 16th Street in North Wildwood to the Wildwoods Convention Center and parking areas in Wildwood. The rain date for the Baby Parade will be Thursday, August 4.
Participation in the Wildwoods Baby Parade is FREE and open to all children under 12 years of age. Parents can register their child in the following categories:
1. Cutest Baby Boy (under 12 months, undecorated stroller) – Judged on Baby’s Face; not what baby is wearing.
2. Cutest Baby Girl (under 12 months, undecorated stroller) – Judged on baby’s face; not what baby is wearing.
3. Best Decorated Baby Carriage (1 or 2 children, up to 2 years old) – Judged on carriage and child’s presentation.
4. Best Walking Themed Group (3 or more children, one child must be under 5 years old) – Judged on theme.
5. Fancy Children (walking in themed costumes) – Judged on overall presentation.
6. Best Dressed (walking) – Judged on “Sunday Best” outfit.
7. Best Decorated Theme on Wheels (platform on wheels, wagon, etc. 1 or 2 children) – Judged on theme.
8. Best Decorated Group Theme on Wheels (platform on wheels, wagon, etc. 3 or more children/adults) – Judged on theme.
For more information about the Wildwoods Baby Waddle and Baby Parade, please call 609-729-4000.